I don’t believe in luck when it comes to success. We hear all the time that “so and so is so lucky” or better yet…”it just takes luck.” There is no such thing as luck when it comes to your life and you’re personal or business success. I can practically guarantee that if you ask a highly successful person if they just got lucky, you’ll get a resounding, “NO!” Luck has nothing to do with what you make of your life.
Luck is the residue of design – Branch Rickey
I love this quote for a lot of reasons, but mostly because behind every person or business that appears to be lucky is a well thought out and carefully orchestrated design. Do some businesses rise to the top more quickly than others? You bet they do, but they don’t just pop up out of nowhere without a plan, skill and the determination to make the initial idea a reality.
The people and businesses who are deemed the “most lucky” are almost always the ones who decided not to play it safe for fear of failing. Chances are very good that you will never “get lucky” if you stay in your safety boat. It’s safe to say that risk takers are generally the “most lucky.” So does luck really have anything to do with success?
In my opinion – not much.
It’s easy to sit on the sidelines and convince yourself that you’re never going to get lucky, so why even bother getting in the game? Luck is for someone else and you weren’t born with luck. Perhaps you’re wondering about all those individuals who were born into wealth. Weren’t they just lucky? Of course, inheriting financial resources is probably a lucky break, but success comes when that individual decides to do something productive with the financial resources. Many an individual with a hefty inheritance has lost it all.
The great golfer, Gary Player once said, “The harder I practice, the luckier I get.” And this is the truth. Great athletes, successful business people, empowered individuals are not lucky. They’re no different from you except that they take actual steps towards and implement practices into their daily lives that create a special kind of luck, but it doesn’t just accidentally happen.
Successful people do things differently and thus…create what is perceived as luck.
1. They make a decision to act on their idea and they don’t let FEAR stand in their way.
2. They commit to their goals and they persist until they achieve them. Literally, they commit 100% of their efforts on the outcome. They’re driven by their WHY vs. all the reasons society and people tell them they can’t.
3. They take full responsibility for their success and they don’t make excuses about things that get in their way.
4. They study others who are successful and emulate them and they surround themselves with other successful people. In fact, they prefer to hang out with people who are more successful than they are. Successful people cultivate relationships. Who you surround yourself with is key to your outcome.
5. They work hard. This is a huge understatement. They’re driven by their goal and nothing stands in their way. There is no such thing as a successful, lazy person. Hard work and dedication to outcomes is what creates “luck.”
6. They believe. You have to believe in yourself and when the self doubt steps in (and it will), you have to stop and remember that you’re gifted with talents and offerings that are totally unique to you. Self doubt is the great saboteur. Belief in your vision and yourself will take you to new places.
7. Self care matters. Successful people understand that a healthy body and mind are part of a daily ritual. Proper rest and having the energy to work hard require self care. Eating right, exercising and getting enough rest help propel you to go to the distance.
8. They unplug. It is essential that you recharge your brain, your body and nurture your soul; so unplugging from all the distractions and the noise in life is important and successful people honor the need to unplug.
9. They never stop learning. Not all successful have college degrees, but they never stop learning new things or reading. Most of them are avid readers because they recognize that they must stay on top of an ever-changing world. Most are also part of a Mastermind group.
10. They fail. They’re not afraid to take risks – big risks, but with risk comes failure. Successful people are willing to make mistakes and fail and they always get back up and continue to move forward. Playing it safe will never yield success or LUCK!
Success leaves clues. Study successful people. Do what they do and watch your luck change.