Self Love is an inside job. If you don’t love yourself with all your assets and flaws, chances are good, you’re not feeling fulfilled. You must learn ways to care for yourself.
I don’t know about you but I wasn’t really taught the importance of loving myself when I was growing up. I don’t know why, except we just didn’t talk about things like this in my family. Self Love was an alien concept.
When you have no idea how to love yourself, your Inner Critic ends up running the show and you find yourself engaging in some Stinking Thinking. Yuck…not a great way to live.
Often you find yourself in the role of taking care of everyone else and ignoring YOU. Check out this post on Over-giving to figure out if this applies to you.
When you don’t engage in self care you are basically saying that you are not worthy of Self Love, and nothing could be further from the truth.
Please think about this for a minute. Do you think about how much you hate your “imperfect” body? How do you talk to yourself when no one is around? Do you tell yourself that you aren’t smart enough…or talented enough…or creative enough…or confident enough? Do you tell yourself that you aren’t enough therefore you aren’t worthy?
Self Love is NOT an option if you want to truly find internal peace and joy!
I don’t care how busy you say you are or how many responsibilities you have. I don’t care what you’ve over-committed to. Self Love begins with you and until you take the time to really explore what this means, nothing in your life will ever change. You’ll make temporary changes but they won’t last because you won’t have a powerful enough reason for changing.
Self love requires self care. It’s about what you value. Do you value YOU enough? If not…let’s get started.
We all have a past. This should not be a news flash. We’ve all experienced some form of rejection, resentments, painful experiences, broken hearts, childhood sadness, loneliness, fear, unfulfilled dreams and many have suffered trauma.
If you allow your past to define your future, you will continue to experience the same things over and over again.
It’s time to rewrite the story and it begins with self care. Try to let go of the toxins that live in your past. You can’t rewrite the past, but you can set it free especially if it’s keeping you from seeing your true beauty.
I hear all the time that self care is expensive and budget is a problem, so you don’t do anything because of your thinking process. I used to think these very same thoughts. So I get it, but it wasn’t until I began my journey to Self Love that I understood what a crock that thinking is.
Begin By Doing This…
Start by asking yourself these questions…
When I think about Self Care it makes me think of…
When I think about Self Love it makes me feel…(This might be a tough one if you’ve never considered the possibility that loving yourself is not selfish.)
The reasons I don’t care for myself as much as I should is because…
One thing I could do to love/care for myself more is…(one thing…you can think of one thing).
Action Steps to Care for Yourself on a Budget…
Next…after you do the above, it’s time to create some budget friendly tips for Self Care.
- Buy some flowers for your home. You don’t need a huge bouquet…just some flowers that brighten your day.
- Take a nap in the middle of the day.
- Sleep in on a Saturday and read a book in bed while sipping a cup of coffee or tea.
- One day a week don’t schedule anything and see what shows up for you.
- Say no to one person who asks you to do something for them.
- Take a bubble bath. Light candles, put on some soothing music and soak in the tub. Put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door is you have to.
- Take a walk or a drive preferably where it’s not crowded. Let the wind blow through your hair. Blast music and sing along.
- Buy yourself something new that feels impractical. I know I said it didn’t have to cost a lot of money and it still doesn’t.
- Head to an actual bookstore and pursue the shelves.
- Begin mapping out your dream vacation. It costs nothing to dream and guess what? When you begin designing your life, you begin attracting what you want. This is not airy fairy. It’s science.
There you have it…TEN Action Steps. I’m certain you can think of more, but really this is not about how much money you spend. It’s about taking time out of your life to discover YOU…to fall in love with you. Can you imagine if we all did this? How would the world change?
I believe that we must start teaching our children about Self Love – not selfish All About Me Love, but true Self Love, the kind that allows us to show up fully in the world. The kind of love that knows you’re going to be okay. When we practice Self Love we honor our inner spirit.
I want to hear from you. Leave a comment below and tell me some ways you practice Self Love. And if this is a foreign concept to you, then I’d love to help you. Click below and get on my calendar.